Are you suffering from Osteoarthritis in your Knees?


Osteoarthritis is a condition that affects the joints in the body, it is commonly found in the knee as it is one of the most heavily used joints in the body, but it can also occur in your hips, hands, spine etc.

How would I know if I have Osteoarthritis?

It can sometimes be identified by knee pain and stiffness or tenderness around the area. Over time both knees may be affected, however if it is the result of an injury or some other circumstance, only that knee will be affected.

Knee Joint Injuries - Industrial Injury Claims

Who is at Risk?

Whilst anyone can be at risk, those who work in professions where you are kneeling down for considerable periods of time can be at increased risk of suffering from knee osteoarthritis earlier on in life. It is also common in people who play sports that involve direct blows or falling on your knees frequently.

Another example is people who play sports like Squash as this has a high impact on your knees and, players are renowned to suffer knee injury problems. If you work as a plumber, roofer, carpet layer or are at BT engineer you could be at a higher risk of conditions like osteoarthritis in your knees, due to the amount of time you spend kneeling to perform your job.

Around 1 million people in the UK go to their GP complaining about arthritis or RSI, most of which are caused by jobs they have worked at previously. In some cases, it is actually the job they are doing that has caused a manageable condition to worsen, leaving them now unable to work.

What other Knee Injuries may affect you?

Some knee injuries affect the bones in the knee, causing a soft grinding sound when you move the affected joint. Other knee injuries may cause a swelling in the front of the knee resulting in a separate condition. Some terms for these symptoms include:

  • Beat knee
  • Nun's knee
  • Rug cutter's knee
  • Housemaid's knee
  • Miner's knee

A profession that involves spending a lot of time on the knees may produce swelling in the front of the knee. This indicates you may be suffering from something other than osteoarthritis, such as bursitis.

What Treatment can I get?

Treatment for osteoarthritis concentrates more on the management of symptoms and how to relieve pain and it may be that a physiotherapist can provide assistance to help manage your condition.

It is not a condition that can be cured.

Some treatments include exercising and improving general health and weight loss, if your condition is exacerbated due to being overweight. There are several types of operation you can undergo to relieve symptoms, but it is not guaranteed and is only given in rare cases.

For inflammation and swelling of the knee, there are other treatments available such as:

  • Applying ice to the affected area
  • Elevation of the affected leg
  • Anti-inflammatory drugs

If these methods do not work, your doctor may decide to drain the area of fluid.

If you have any of the above symptoms and you think they may be connected to any current or previous employment, it is best to see a solicitor that specialises in osteoarthritic or knee injury claims.

They may be able to send you for a medical examination to confirm your injuries. They will then use this report to help you get compensation.

News Archive

Get In Touch