A Level Results Day 2017 – What You Need To Know


The Law Of… Getting Your A Level Results (And Knowing What To Do Next)

In a matter of days, students across the country will get their A Level results. After the hours of revision, research and hard work this is undoubtedly a stressful time for everyone involved.

Gregg Burrough, Solicitor in Education Law and Community Care, takes a look at what types of support and guidance is available for students once their results are out on Thursday 17th August.

Department For Education Exam Results Helpline

The Department for Education run a telephone helpline that opens at 7.30 am on Thursday 17th August 2017. It will be open until the end of the month and will be a source of support for students and their families throughout the next two weeks.

The helpline is open until 8 pm on Thursday 17th August and is also open every day, including weekends, from 9 am to 2 pm. You can call the helpline for advice and information on 0808 100 8000.

You can also find help from Exam Results Helpline via their Twitter and Facebook pages and by visiting UCAS' website.

How Can The Helpline Support Me?

There are a number of topics that the helpline advisors can advise students and their parents on such as making decisions about university, sixth form, college and other choices relating to your education.

They can also offer advice on:

  • Taking resits
  • Asking for your exam paper to be marked again
  • Vocational learning routes, including diplomas, apprenticeships and National Vocational Qualifications

The helpline can also provide information on Confirmation, Clearing and Adjustment.

Generally, on the day, universities will be very busy fielding calls and having someone available to speak to about all your options is invaluable, as is potentially speaking to a teacher. Schools and colleges will still be open on 17th August despite the fact that results are usually released online.

Whilst you will be able to see your university confirmation, your marks will not be shown on UCAS so they will still need to be obtained.

"It can be very hard to keep a clear head when you open your results letter, and even in a worst case scenario, there are various choices and options open to young people," Gregg explains.

"It can be helpful to have more than one plan and to take some time depending on your results to plan your next move."

Is Any Support Offered To Students With Special Educational Needs (SEN) Going To University Or Into Further Education?

At this point in time, students with SEN who are going to university or into higher education aren't entitled to receive support through an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is because the Children and Families Act 2014 lists specific types of institutions that are allowed to be named in EHCPs and sadly universities aren't included in this list.

But, there are some situations in which it's possible for a student in higher education to request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCNA).

For example, you might be able to ask for an EHCNA if you develop a health problem whilst studying or you have trouble coping with the course. If you find yourself in this situation, our Education Law team will be happy to offer you some advice on your next steps.

Gregg comments:

"If you have questions on results day or need guidance, call the Department for Education's helpline as they are trained advisors and will be able to steer you in the right direction."

"Good luck to all those getting results and those providing support to those getting the results!"

News Archive

Get In Touch