What to Do after an Accident on Holiday

Nick Harris
Head of Travel Law & Holiday Claims

If you’ve been injured in an accident on holiday at the hotel or resort where you’re staying, or whilst on a tour or event arranged by the tour operator, then your tour operator is legally responsible. By selling you the package holiday, it’s their responsibility to keep you safe.

So if you’re thinking of making a holiday accident claim, you can improve your chances of being awarded compensation by doing any or all of the following.

Get Medical Attention

You need to get a medical diagnosis as soon as possible, so there’s a record of the immediate injuries you’ve sustained in the accident.

Report the Accident

Tell the hotel or resort staff how, where and when your accident took place.

Tell Your Tour Operator

If there’s a holiday rep from your tour operator at your hotel or resort, get in touch with them and tell them what’s happened. Ask for a written accident report to be completed and get a copy.

Take Photos and Videos of the Accident Scene

It’s very important to get visual evidence of the location where your accident took place as soon as possible; if it is safe to do so. Otherwise, the hotel or tour operator could fix the cause of your accident after it’s happened, making it that much harder for you to prove the facts.

Collect Witness Details, Names and Addresses

Talk to people you went on holiday with or met there to see if they can be a witness to the accident, your injuries, or the hazard, and get their contact details.

Take Photos of Your Injuries as they Heal

This can provide further evidence of the impact your injuries have had on you after you’ve returned to the UK.

After returning home, get in touch with our Holiday Claims Solicitors for free legal advice and ask if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.

Legally speaking, injuries that happen outside of the UK are very different to injuries that happen at home. Our holiday claims team includes legal experts who have represented tour operators and know the technical legal issues inside out. This expertise can ultimately make the difference between a successful or unsuccessful holiday accident claim.

One key recommendation we’d give at this early stage is not to accept any financial offers of compensation you may receive until you’ve sought legal advice. You may be entitled to more compensation than is being offered by a tour operator, so rushing to settle isn’t always best.

What Will My Compensation Cover?

If you make a holiday accident claim, your compensation settlement will reflect:

      • The pain and suffering you’ve experienced as a result of your accident
      • Your lost wages if you’ve been unable to work
      • Medical expenses and out of pocket costs you may have incurred
      • Loss of enjoyment - if the holiday you bought has been affected by your injuries, you're entitled to a portion of or all the money that you paid for the holiday.

If you get medical and legal advice, arrangements can also be made for rehabilitation if appropriate. Our Holiday Claims Solicitors can access a complete range of medical experts and can help you access the support you need.

A surprising amount of people have an accident on holiday in the hotel or resort they're staying at, and we have a strong track record of securing compensation for our clients.

Holiday Accident Cases

£33,000 Compensation for Accident on Holiday at Hotel in Turkey

£27,000 Compensation for Accident on Holiday at Gran Canaria Hotel

£16,000 Compensation for Accident at Apollonian Resort & Spa

For free legal advice, call our Holiday Claims Solicitors

No Win No Fee

Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm

08002 605 010

08002 605 010

We're happy to call you

Simply click below to arrange a call

Request a call back

Request a Callback

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose

Simpson Millar is a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London - Euston, London - Fleet Street, London - Teddington, Manchester and Southport.