Discrimination in the workplace is not acceptable and you have the right to make a complaint and claim against your employer.
The law protects individuals from suffering discrimination at work. Our Employment Law Solicitors can help you with making a complaint and claiming compensation. Nobody should feel discriminated against at work.
If you have experienced Discrimination at Work our specialist Employment Lawyers can help you. Our Employment Law Solicitors have years of experience in successfully helping and advising people on workplace discrimination. We can review your situation and help you decide how to move forward.
Meet some of out Employment Law Solicitors
What Can I Be Discriminated against For?
Discrimination can take many different forms in the workplace. The Equality Act 2010 outlines 9 Protected Characteristics and states that discrimination can occur when you’re treated unfairly because of your:
- Gender Reassignment
- Religion or Belief
- Sexual Orientation
- Marriage or Civil Partnership
- Pregnancy and Maternity
If you are being treated unfairly because of any of these reasons you should speak to our Employment Law Solicitors who will help you.
Choose the area you want help with below, or contact us for an initial consultation.
Types of Discrimination at Work
There are 4 types of discrimination you can face in the workplace.
- Direct Discrimination - When you are being directly discriminated against by a colleague or management.
- Indirect Discrimination – If an employer has a policy, procedure or practice in place that affects every staff member, but specifically puts you at a disadvantage.
- Harassment – If you are being intimidated or degraded by someone at work because of your differences.
- Victimisation – You suffer from a direct disadvantage because you have made a claim about discrimination or you are supporting a colleague who has made a claim.
If you have a successful case for Direct or Indirect Discrimination, you can also claim for injury to feelings and uncapped loss of earnings. We can advise you if you have a case and how to go forward.
What Can You Do about Discrimination at Work?
Unlike an Unfair Dismissal Claim, there is no minimum level of continuous service necessary to make a Discrimination at Work Claim.
If your employer has policies around discrimination it is important that you follow them when making your claim. If there are no set policies, you should speak with your Line Manager or Supervisor to see if your case can be settled internally. This does not mean that you risk an unfair resolution to your case.
How We Can Help You with Discrimination at Work
We can assist and support you by:
- Guiding you through how to make an internal complaint and following your employer’s internal grievance policy
- We can negotiate a settlement or exit agreement with your employer
- We can represent you in throughout tribunal or county court
Why Choose Simpson Millar’s Employment Solicitors to Help You?
- We have some of the UK’s leading Employment Solicitors and Lawyers who can assist you with your issue
- We realise that every case and every client is different and we shape your experience around your goals. We are on hand to give legal advice, even outside of normal office hours
- We understand that it can be an emotional time and we are sensitive to your experience. Although we deal with discrimination cases all the time we know that you don’t so treat it with the respect it deserves
- Our Employment Law experts are friendly and will talk to you in a plain and simple way. We keep complicated language to a minimum and work with you in a pragmatic way
- Our strapline is ‘The Open Lawyers’ and we live up to that providing you with transparency and open communication throughout the whole process.
Funding Your Case
We will look at all the funding options available as talk through which is the best one for you. For example, you may have Legal Expenses insurance (LEI) included in an insurance policy.
We are completely transparent about fees and funding from the beginning. We work with you to outline our fees and create a plan of action going forward with your claim.
Get in touch with our Employment Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
0808 258 3531
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.