Making a Claim for Cosmetic Surgery Negligence
Over the last 10 years the public's attitude to plastic surgery has evolved and
more people are prepared to undergo surgery to improve an aspect of their appearance.
As more surgery is undertaken the number of cosmetic surgery compensation
claims has increased due to problems during procedures.
Many of you will empathise with thoughts such as "if I could just change that part
of my body I would be happy".
In this day and age, beauty comes at a price, but how careful are we at choosing
the right cosmetic surgeon and avoiding plastic surgery problems?
Do I have a case for plastic surgery compensation?
Every plastic surgeon has a duty of care to you
to ensure your safety and well being during and after an operation
and to avoid any unnecessary trauma. Our solicitors can help you to find out if
you have a case for medical negligence compensation.
If you have suffered horrific injuries during or after the plastic
surgery procedure such as disfigurement or extensive scarring the
cosmetic surgeon may have breached their duty of care towards you
and be construed as negligent.
A good cosmetic surgeon will:
- Be suitably qualified as a cosmetic surgeon (Be careful: Prior
to 1 April 2002 training was not a legal requirement)
- Inform you of the benefits of cosmetic enhancements
- Discuss the risks with you in detail
- Outline the alternatives available to you
- Give you a cooling off period whilst you think about the best course
of action for you
- It is extremely important to be realistic at all times during the
cosmetic surgery process eg they cannot make you perfect, but a good plastic
surgeon will be completely honest with you about the potential outcome
- It will not change your life, but it can improve your self-confidence
- It is your plastic surgeon's duty to explore with you, your expectations
and know the limits of the procedure
If you still feel you have been a victim of medical negligence we suggest you talk
to one our solicitors who are experts in this line of compensation claims. They
can assess your case and give you a clear and honest answer as to whether they think
you have a potential claim.
Types of cases you can claim compensation for include:
- Perforated bowel following a cosmetic procedure eg tummy tuck
- Intensive scarring following a beauty procedure eg Liposuction
- Breast reduction resulting in unevenness or unexpected and unsightly scarring
- Nerve damage during a facelift
The above list is non-exhaustive, but aims to give you a clear indication of
the types of medical errors and mistakes that can lead to a successful
Funding your medical negligence claim
- legal expenses insurance, and
- conditional fee agreements (eg No Win No Fee) are available in some cases
- public funding (otherwise known as Legal Aid)
Medical negligence compensation
If you have been affected by any of the issues raised above and feel you have been
a victim of medical negligence during plastic surgery call and speak to one of our
solicitors today on freephone: 0808 129 3320 or use our free, no obligation,
online enquiry form and we call you back to discuss your claim.