Failures & Complaints about your Doctor
General Practitioners (GPs) are one of the most important players in the medical care of patients as they are, in the majority of cases, the first port of call when you suspect a health problem.
GPs respond to a wide variety of medical concerns that people present to them and make important decisions about when to refer you to medical specialists or to outside agencies. Most of us are fortunate to enjoy positive relationships with our GP and receive a high standard of personal service but from time to time the standard of care provided may fall below what we consider to be acceptable and it may be necessary to complain about a GP.
Reasons for making a claim against a GP
People seek specialist legal advice regarding the standard of care provided by their GP for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons which could constitute medical negligence include:
- Incorrect diagnosis especially involving cases of cancer where urgent treatment is necessary or the illness may be life-limiting
- Failure to respond to test results meaning that treatment is delayed or not provided
- Incorrect prescriptions
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist even though the presenting symptoms warrant such action
- Failure to visit a patient in their home when this is medically necessary
What Can I Claim?
The amount that you can claim depends on various factors including the type of illness or injury suffered, your recovery time and the losses incurred. A GP negligence claim may seek compensation for:
- Pain, suffering and loss of amenity
- Loss of earnings (past and future)
- Medical expenses
- Travel expenses, for example to and from hospital
- Equipment or home adaptation to enable you to continue common daily activities
How a Medical Negligence Solicitor Can Help
A qualified medical negligence solicitor can provide an honest and objective overview of a potential GP negligence claim and provide a range of services and will be able to:
- Advise you of your options, giving an informed and realistic opinion of the outcome of any claim
- Instruct independent experts and obtain specialist reports
- Guide you through the process of bringing a medical negligence claim against your GP
- Recommend the available funding options to enable you to pursue a claim
Bear in mind that making a GP complaint does not preclude you from receiving high standards of medical care in the future. Whatever the suspected cause of medical negligence it is important to make initial enquiries with a solicitor at the earliest opportunity, with no commitment to pursuing a particular course of action.
If you have been victim of medical negligence you could be entitled to compensation.
Call our medical negligence solicitors today on Freephone: 0808 129 3320 or use our free, no obligation,
online enquiry form to register for a call back.