EU Nationals and your family

European Economic Area (EEA) and nationals and their family members - Immigration Applications

European Union (EU) nationals and their family members

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and Switzerland have a right to enter, live and work or study in the UK without restriction.

The Rights of EU nationals and their family members

After 5 years as a worker, self- employed person, student, retired person or a self-sufficient person an EU, EEAS or Swiss citizen can apply for Permanent Residence in the UK.

Your close family members and extended family members from outside the EU may also apply to remain in the UK.

Immigration Law - Family Migration, Joining your family in the Uk - Legal Advice

The different types of applications

These are designed for EU citizens seeking:

  • European Economic Area (EEA) Family Permits - for entry to the UK
  • Registration Certificates - for EEA nationals in the UK
  • Residence Cards - for family members of EEA nationals in the UK
  • Permanent Residence Cards - for EU nationals and their family members entitled to a permanent right of residence
  • Derivative Residence Card - for non-EEA nationals who obtain a right to live in the UK by consequence of a relationship to an EU national

Legal Services - Fixed Fee Immigration Applications starting at £99

Family members from outside the EEA

If you are an EEA national you have an automatic right to invite your family members to the UK to join you here.

However if your family members are coming from outside the EEA, they will need to make an application for Entry Clearance, or apply to regularise their immigration status from within the UK.

If the relationship between the EEA national and the non-EEA national breaks down, then the non-EEA family member may apply to retain their right to reside in the UK.

They should make an application for a visa (Family Permit) before entering the UK. If they are already in the UK they may apply to the Home Office to stay on the basis of their relationship.

How can Simpson Millar LLP help me?

European law can be increasingly complex so it is important you get the right immigration advice.

Our Team of Immigration Solicitors at Simpson Millar LLP can advise you on your rights or if you need help with your application or appeal. We can help prepare evidence and submit your application and present your appeal against removal.

As experienced Immigration Solicitors we understand that you might find the application procedure confusing, so we can explain all the requirements and what documents you will need. With our help you may have a greater chance of succeeding with your application.

Contact our solicitors now to get the immigration advice you need. Complete our no obligation online enquiry form and we will call you back or you can call us directly on freephone: 0808 129 3320.

Latest News

Get In Touch

Emma Brooksbank - Partner | Immigration Law - Leeds

Emma Brooksbank
Partner, Head of Immigration (Leeds)

View profile

Meet the Team