First Choice pays out 6 figure compensation to ill holiday makers
One year after a trip to Egypt hundreds of holiday makers were left violently ill, including a family from South Wales, the tour operator which organised the trips has agreed to pay out compensation.
Janine Dunlop, 32 from South Wales had booked an all-inclusive 2 week holiday with First Choice for her family to enjoy 5-star treatment at the Holiday Village Red Sea in Egypt. But after just one week in the resort, Janine and her son 11-year old Keanau became violently ill with vomiting and diarrhoea.
When the family arrived home, Janine was diagnosed with cryptosporidium, a nasty stomach bug which kept her in bed for another 3 weeks before she was well enough to return to work. On top of that Keanau's father Damon Santos, 38 fell ill on the flight home and were later diagnosed with the bacterial infection, helicobacter.
"Our holiday was completely ruined and instead of leaving us rested and revitalised, we spent several weeks in bed. Having been awarded compensation for a holiday that was a complete disaster does provide some comfort but we certainly won't be going back to Holiday Village Red Sea any time soon," said Janine.
Simpson Millar's Holiday Travel Law Department has now settled over 100 claims against First Choice from families who all fell ill under similar circumstances, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Nick Harris, Head of Holiday Travel Law at Simpson Millar who represented, amongst others, the Dunlops said: "Last year we received a staggering number of complaints from families that saw their holiday ruined when a stay at the Holiday Village Red Sea left them violently ill. Most of these families have now received their rightful compensation."
During their holiday Ms Dunlop had seen people vomiting at the resort but at the time, staff dismissed it as being a simple case of dehydration. When she later came down with flu-like symptoms and discovered a number of other guests were suffering too she knew something more serious was wrong. In fact that year, Simpson Millar received more than 120 complaints from holidaymakers who returned to the UK with serious bacterial infections such as cryptosporidium, E-coli, shigella and salmonella.
"These families were looking forward to a holiday in the sun but came home with more than just a tan. Thankfully First Choice has been forthcoming in settling these claims," said Nick.
Get the news direct to your Email Inbox
If you liked this article you can sign up to receive our news articles via email
Subscribe to our Daily News updates
For any PR enquiries please contact:
Christina Savage at RTS Media
on tel: 01942 396701, mobile: 07932 944 008 or send an email.
Disclaimer: No information on this website shall be construed as
legal advice and information is offered for general information purposes only based
on the current law when the information was first displayed on this website. You
should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific
legal enquiry. Calls to or from our legal helpline may be recorded for training
and monitoring purposes.
External links are provided for your convenience, but they are beyond the control
of Simpson Millar LLP and no representation is made as to their content. Use or
reliance on any external links and the content thereon provided is at your own risk.